Sunday 23 December 2007

A Wet But Wonderful Ride

Good news all around. Mom gets to go home tomorrow - just in time for her many children and their families to descend upon her for our traditional Christmas Eve gathering. I know she is looking forward to it and we're looking forward to her continued recovery.

Robin organized a bike ride today with me, Mark, Peter, Bob, Wayne, and Robert. He promised a flat and mellow ride which he delivered. Good thing since my fitness level is at the lowest it has been for years! It was fun to ride and chat with my good riding buddies. It was pretty wet which was the only drawback but I suppose expecting anything else in the Pacific Northwest in December would be silly. We met up at Greenfresh Market in Renton, fueled up on our choice of hot beverage and then headed south to Flaming Geyser Park. A short stop for more hot beverages along the way and yummy soups and goodies in a nicely heated deli at Greenfresh made for a nice social ride. Just the minimum of whining scored me a ride up the hill in Mark's car complete with heated seats and an extra jacket while Robin played the true randonneur by riding back home. A hot shower followed by a nap and I'm nearly good as new - except for the large pile of soaking wet riding clothes I need to deal with...

If any of you usually get a Christmas letter from us and are wondering where it is don't hold your breath. We will be sending some kind of New Year's greetings this year! Of course it was planned that way!

Merry Christmas and wishing you love, peace, and health in 2008!

2 comments:

Robert H said...

Thanks for hanging on the back with me. It was a wonderful day for a ride.

http://www.bunnyhawk.com

Peter McKay said...

The wet weather didn't dampen your usual cheerful self! The pouring rain was similar to our experiences during our dart team ride and PBP.

Poor Robin had to listen to Bob and I tussle over who would open your flap while he was otherwise occupied.

At Anita’s strong recommendation, I threw my wet cycling clothing into the washing machine for a rinse to remove the sand and dirt before washing them.

I took advantage of the office being closed yesterday to sleep in before riding to work and to leave early so that I could return home to attend our traditional Christmas eve party. It was nice to ride in the dry daylight both directions.